The objective of AIM is to promote the human, cultural, and religious development of monasteries throughout the world, and of their surrounding populations. It is also an organisation facilitating reflection amongst communities living under the Rule of St. Benedict.
- AIM promotes co-operation and solidarity amongst monasteries throughout the world.
- AIM contributes to human, spiritual and cultural formation by providing scholarships, seminars, books, equipment and grants for construction and development.
- AIM initiates and supports networking between monasteries at regional and international levels.
- AIM helps in obtaining financial assistance for projects through contacts with organisations dedicated to evangelisation and development.
- The Bulletin of the AIM, published in English, French, Italian, German and Spanish, provides a forum for the exchange of information and discussion on monastic life today and in the future.